Magic Monday
Dec. 20th, 2020 10:36 pm
It's getting on for midnight, so we can proceed with a new Magic Monday. Let's start things out with a bit of alchemical text from the Splendor Solis, the most gorgeously illustrated of all the old alchemical texts: "The Earth flowers and bears manifold colored blooms and fruits, and in her interior has grown a large tree with a silver trunk, stretching itself out to the Earth's surface. On its branches sit many kinds of birds, which all fly away at daybreak, when the head of the raven becomes white. The same tree bears three kinds of fruit. The first are the very finest pearls. The second is called by the philosophers terra foliata. The third is the purest gold."
The image is the sixth illustration from Splendor Solis. It shows two philosophers standing beside a tree while a peasant gathers fruit from it. Below is a scene of women in a public bath.
Ask me anything ***about occultism*** (ahem) and I'll do my best to answer it. Any question received by midnight Monday Eastern time will get an answer. (Any question received after then will not get an answer, and will likely just be deleted.) If you're in a hurry, or suspect you may be the 143,916th person to ask a question, please check out the very rough version 1.0 of The Magic Monday FAQ here.
I've had several people ask about tipping me for answers here, and though I certainly don't require that I won't turn it down. You can use the button above to access my online tip jar. If you're interested in political and economic astrology, or simply prefer to use a subscription service to support your favorite authors, you can find my Patreon page here and my SubscribeStar page here.
I've also had quite a few people over the years ask me where they should buy my books, and I have a new answer. Bookshop.org is an alternative online bookstore that supports local bookstores and authors, which a certain other gargantuan corporation doesn't, and I now have a shop there, which you can check out here. Please consider patronizing it if you'd like to purchase any of my books online. ***This Magic Monday is now closed. See you next week!***
And don't forget to look up your Pangalactic New Age Soul Signature at CosmicOom.com!
(no subject)
Date: 2020-12-21 04:56 am (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 2020-12-21 05:01 am (UTC)(no subject)
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-21 05:07 am (UTC) - Expand(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-21 05:13 am (UTC) - Expand(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-21 03:53 pm (UTC) - Expand(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-21 07:15 pm (UTC) - Expand(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-21 07:54 pm (UTC) - Expand(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-21 05:15 am (UTC) - Expand(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-21 05:28 am (UTC) - Expand(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-21 05:24 am (UTC) - Expand(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-21 05:47 am (UTC) - Expand(no subject)
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-21 05:27 am (UTC) - Expand(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-21 06:49 am (UTC) - Expand(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-21 05:43 am (UTC) - Expand(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-21 06:57 am (UTC) - Expand(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-21 07:30 am (UTC) - Expand(no subject)
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-21 03:22 pm (UTC) - Expand(no subject)
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-22 07:00 pm (UTC) - Expand(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:Gods
Date: 2020-12-21 05:04 am (UTC)Having a background as an atheist and scientific materialist, I have never felt entirely right working with deities in things like the Sphere of Protection. At least, it feels a bit weird. I'm not sure if this is down to the lack of connection with the Welsh gods recommended as defaults.
Would it be alright / unsafe / weird to experiment with Tokein's pantheon? Anyone else have any experience with these gods?
Cheers,
Graeme
Re: Gods
Date: 2020-12-21 05:08 am (UTC)Re: Gods
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-21 03:14 pm (UTC) - ExpandRe: Gods
From:Regarding classical music and occultism
Date: 2020-12-21 05:14 am (UTC)Regards,
Viduraawakened
Re: Regarding classical music and occultism
Date: 2020-12-21 05:24 am (UTC)Re: Regarding classical music and occultism
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-21 09:32 am (UTC) - ExpandGreat Conjunction
Date: 2020-12-21 05:41 am (UTC)I infer that Jupiter catches up with Saturn every twelve to fourteen years or thereabouts, so they must conjoin to some degree about that often. What features in particular make this conjunction so important? Is it that they are so close as to appear to form a single body?
Re: Great Conjunction
Date: 2020-12-21 06:02 am (UTC)As for what you can do about it, that depends on your magical chops. What kind of magical training and experience do you have? Since Venus isn't in aspect to the conjunction, you could always do an ordinary Venus working, to consecrate a talisman or what have you; if you want to do more than that, you need to have some hefty magical skills.
Re: Great Conjunction
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-21 06:19 am (UTC) - ExpandRe: Great Conjunction
From:Re: Great Conjunction
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-21 06:27 am (UTC) - ExpandRe: Great Conjunction
From:Re: Great Mutation
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-21 12:15 pm (UTC) - ExpandRe: Great Mutation
From:Supernatural Forces in the Natural World
Date: 2020-12-21 06:08 am (UTC)First I want to say “Thank You”, for influencing me to lead a more ecological life. To give up my car, to give up my mortgage on a condo (where I was unhappy), to find the divinity in the outside natural world, and to include the Laws of a living, conscious Earth in my daily path.
My question has to do with your book, Mystery Teachings from the Living Earth. In it I believe you say that ecological processes can be reduced to three variables: energy, matter, and information (did I get that right?). Hopeless spiritual romantic that I am, I was wondering, would you say there is any room in Nature for other influences, such as that of a Goddess or God?
Thanks, Sir, for everything!
Re: Supernatural Forces in the Natural World
Date: 2020-12-21 06:11 am (UTC)Re: Supernatural Forces in the Natural World
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-21 06:37 am (UTC) - ExpandRe: Supernatural Forces in the Natural World
From:Re: Supernatural Forces in the Natural World
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-22 12:41 am (UTC) - Expand(no subject)
Date: 2020-12-21 06:09 am (UTC)And for everyone interested: Please join me on this day as I hold up my wrecking bar and give my Ruinman’s Bond that I am a true and lawful Green Wizard.
And, much as I loathe the seasonal glurge, banish Santa? That doesn’t sound like a good idea. Wouldn’t just stepping out of the way as the sell-o-bration fades be easier than ending up in a hate and imitate go-round?
Might you be persuaded to tell us a bit about today’s illustration and quote? Nickel tour, maybe?
Rusty
(no subject)
Date: 2020-12-21 06:51 am (UTC)As for the illustration and quote, they're both part of the intricate alchemical allegory of the Splendor Solis; like Zen koans, they're meant to be meditated on repeatedly so that the practitioner breaks through to another mode of consciousness, from which the secret is clear. That's about as much as it's appropriate for me to say on the subject.
(no subject)
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-21 07:14 am (UTC) - Expand(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-21 08:15 pm (UTC) - ExpandHaunting
Date: 2020-12-21 06:16 am (UTC)I have been praying for a young lady who drowned in a nearby lake something like 30 years ago. I pray the Gods help her in whatever way is best for her. I started this after my husband and I started to see her in our dreams. We both saw the same girl.
Last week, she walked through our bedroom and I woke at the sound of her footsteps. I was sleepy and thought it must be my husband walking but them realized, I was holding him in a tight cuddle. I woke up and looked around but could see nothing. I went back to sleep but I was sure it was her.
My husband had to go to the city for a few days last week, and I was much troubled by being woken out of a deep sleep several times while he was away. I was not frightened but each time woke, and looked around, sure there was someone there.
I have a lot of magic running to keep out malevolent beings. I don't think these beings who wake me are malevolent. I think they want me to help them somehow. I feel it is my job to help them. This sort of thing has happened to me a lot since childhood. It always happens more when I am sleeping alone.
Do you think it would help the young woman if I did a grove Opening and a working to bring her comfort? After a divination of course. I feel I am letting her down somehow although I pray for her daily.
If anyone would like to pray for her, her name is Cheryl and she died at the age of 18, very near Christmas, after she failed the first semester at university.
Citrine Somnolent Sheep (Maxine)
Re: Haunting
Date: 2020-12-21 06:57 am (UTC)Re: Haunting
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-21 09:20 pm (UTC) - ExpandMysterious sounds
Date: 2020-12-21 06:33 am (UTC)Well, there seems to be something to that, check out:
https://www.livescience.com/agu-seneca-guns-cause.html
The phenomenon of "Seneca Guns" has been documented for at least 150 years, and it was discussed in a recent American Geophysical Union conference. It is still a mystery, but is looking to be a physical, as opposed to occult, phenomenon.
--Lunar Apprentice.
Re: Mysterious sounds
Date: 2020-12-21 06:59 am (UTC)Re: Mysterious sounds
From:Newbie question (that's not in the FAQ!)
Date: 2020-12-21 06:58 am (UTC)First off, many thanks and blessings for all the good work you do! I've long been a lurker on the other blog (and Archdruid Report before that), and after some deliberation, have decided to finally start learning magic.
Accordingly, I opened my copy of Learning Ritual Magic (I'd bought it more than a year ago) and got started on the exercises around a month back. At the same time, I also started visiting this blog more regularly, and can only say that I'm enjoying the experience. My question concerns mixing exercises you talk about here with those in LRM. I've started doing the exercises to develop will, as well as the SOP. I read in one of your comments that it's not a good idea to mix different banishing rituals, but I figured that since I have not yet reached the stage in LRM where I have to perform banishing rituals, I can go ahead and perform the SOP for now. Is that a correct assumption?
Thank you once again!
Re: Newbie question (that's not in the FAQ!)
Date: 2020-12-21 07:01 am (UTC)Re: Newbie question (that's not in the FAQ!)
From:(no subject)
Date: 2020-12-21 07:26 am (UTC)Two month ago I took up divination. Taking in account your prediction of war in Europe and the rapidly diminishing basic rights amid the corona measures in an once showcase democracy (yes, Switzerland), I asked "should I flee this country with my family". I got for Right witness Laetitia, for Left witness Puella and for Judge Fortuna Major. Because it is favourable, I understand the answer as a yes. But I also felt a strange calmness considering the significator with happiness and health and the meanings of Fortuna Major as an answer: dont' worry, it will be not that bad. Could you please help me out?
Stini
(no subject)
Date: 2020-12-21 07:26 pm (UTC)(no subject)
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-22 07:41 am (UTC) - ExpandHealing magic all-in
Date: 2020-12-21 08:24 am (UTC)I have a risky but important surgery coming up in a few weeks.
What would be the most effective way to influence its outcome magically?
A few things about me:
1) been dabbling in occultism for years, never more than a few months of serious practice
2) am willing to work with Hebrew Golden Dawn rituals
3) have a statue of Brigid, used to pray a little in the last two years
4) have been through years of therapy, feel quite well-adjusted
Yes, I know emergency magic is not ideal! Still, this cannot wait and I really wish to improve my chances. Thanks!
Re: Healing magic all-in
Date: 2020-12-21 07:27 pm (UTC)Mum's transition
Date: 2020-12-21 08:24 am (UTC)From that time on I feel that I was in mourning for my mum, although all of us, in particular my sister and I did whatever we could to try and make her life as good as possible, a somewhat exhausting and very repetitive task.
Due to a 2nd covid lockdown about a month ago, we brought her home just before it was enforced.
I started to notice behaviour that seemed to be preparing for leaving.
On Tuesday morning with a full plate of bacon and eggs in front of her, a request she gave to my sister who was staying there to help look after her, my sister heard a noise and came out of the kitchen to see mum leaning to one side in her chair.
I got a frantic call from my brother and arrived before the ambulance to find mum on the floor and my brother attempting heart massage while my sister held the phone with a person giving instructions.
I immediately said leave her, let her go it's her time.
I knelt down and said goodbye to mum and it felt such a release.
I was thinking of what you had said JMG about her mental sheath breaking down and her journey being an easier one because of that.
Have I got that right?
Knowing that and that after over 2 years of suffering - other health problems prior to the stroke - and a quick, and I would imagine, fairly painless death, I didn't feel any grief just gladness for her that she was on her way to the next phase.
When the ambulance officers arrived and we said don't attempt anything, they ascertained that she was gone and put her back in her bed.
A family friend managed to get her (now retired Catholic) priest to come out, within a couple of hours and he annointed and blessed her.
Our small family group all arrived at about this time and everyone kissed mum and said goodbye.
She stayed with us all day, with a small candle burning in the room, and we would come and go sitting with her, including Dad.
It all felt so normal and nice, for everyone really. I would never have thought that sitting in the bedroom with my dead mother would be something I would experience, and feel so calm about, but I'm so grateful that we were all able to do so.
She had a less than ideal end stage to her life, but she had a real good death.
Do you think JMG, reading this fairly bare bones account, you would say she's had a good transition?
Her funeral is this Wednesday, with a full Catholic mass, not that any of us besides Dad and maybe my other sister still keep the faith so to speak. But we respect her wishes.
Helen in Oz
PS she was 91
Re: Mum's transition
Date: 2020-12-21 05:13 pm (UTC)—Lady Cutekitten
Re: Mum's transition
From:Re: Mum's transition
From:Re: Mum's transition
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-21 07:34 pm (UTC) - ExpandRe: Mum's transition
From:Re: Mum's transition
From:Re: Mum's transition
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-21 09:26 pm (UTC) - ExpandRe: Mum's transition
From:Re: Mum's transition
From:Re: Mum's transition
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-22 01:20 am (UTC) - Expand(no subject)
Date: 2020-12-21 08:48 am (UTC)I've recently moved in with my inlaws, and now live in a big old intergenerational household. It is a very homely home: entering here always brings me an astral sigh of relief, for want of a better word. It's my estimation that this is accomplished by decades of earnest prayer in the Christian tradition, but it's not quite possible for me to raise the topic ("say, gramps, what enchantments did you put on this place?"). Since I didn't want to mess with the 'vibes', I gave up my banishing practice (LBRP), but made sure to keep up with my prayers.
Lately, I've felt the need to return to a banishing practice. What kind is least likely to interfere with whatever it is that seems to be working so well?
(no subject)
Date: 2020-12-21 07:31 pm (UTC)Questions about affirmations
Date: 2020-12-21 09:04 am (UTC)Thank you very much for Magic Mondays.
I have a couple of questions related to affirmations. Apologies if this information has already been covered earlier.
For about six months or so, I have been using the affirmation "I am an accomplished ABC practitioner" (ABC is a placeholder). There have been a couple of events that make me think that the affirmation has already worked (TSW!), but I can't help feeling that the affirmation was quite open-ended, so I have decided to change it to "I am a practitioner who ... XYZ", where 'XYZ' is a typical marker for a highly accomplished practitioner in the field (think publishing in one of the most prestigious venues for the field in question).
1) My first question is related to the wording of the XYZ phrase: should it be of the form "does XYZ", or should it be "has done XYZ"? The first phrase would imply repeated publishing, for example, while the second would imply satisfying the affirmation with just one act of publishing.
2) Also, the first couple of times I tried the new version of the affirmation, I was not able to complete the full number of repetitions - it was either somebody interrupting me, or I fell asleep midway through (today was the first time I was able to do the affirmation completely). Could this be a signal that the specific thing I was affirming is something beyond my capabilities, and that I should aim for another, more achievable, target?
Re: Questions about affirmations
Date: 2020-12-21 07:40 pm (UTC)2) Nope. It just means you have internal resistance to succeeding in your goal. You may want to do some journaling to understand that, so you can overcome it.
Re: Questions about affirmations
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-22 04:09 am (UTC) - Expand(no subject)
Date: 2020-12-21 10:09 am (UTC)The UK is starting off the new era fully in line with the predictions for this Grand Mutation, namely a marked change in her relations with the rest of the world.
As you've probably seen, many EU countries and others have banned passenger flights and ferries from the UK. There's no doubt in my mind that this is being used as an extra lever in the still unresolved Brexit negotiations. There's clearly also an element of punishing the UK for exiting the EU and not keeping their fishing waters open.
UK banned passenger flights
Date: 2020-12-21 06:11 pm (UTC)Re: UK banned passenger flights
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-21 09:31 pm (UTC) - Expand(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-22 12:58 am (UTC) - Expand(no subject)
Date: 2020-12-21 10:17 am (UTC)First card: Duir
Second card: Luis
Third card: Ur (Rev)
The first card, Duir, tells me that the project is set up to ensure this happens, while Luis tells me that this action will be one of purification, which I think means that the pollutants will be effectively removed. The third card, Ur reversed, is intriguing as it points to "dispersed energies" and "weakness", which I take to mean the energy in the pollutants (fertilisers and pesticides) will be taken away but leave a damaged ecosystem.
Ur informs me of the need for recovery and recuperation, which makes sense in that it will take time for the river to recover its vitality.
So although the last card is Ur reversed, am I correct that this reading indicates the working is likely to be a success?
(no subject)
Date: 2020-12-21 07:45 pm (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 2020-12-21 10:41 am (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 2020-12-21 07:51 pm (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 2020-12-21 11:19 am (UTC)Well, it lasted me about 3 1/2 weeks. When I first put it on I felt amazing, it really cleared up my mind and my body felt great for the first time in a long while too. Ghen last week I noticed the familiar miasma and discomfort return, along with a bout of food poisoning from a shared food item that didn’t affect anyone else. Opened up the pouch to check on the contents and found the salt discoloured and nail thoroughly rusted. Promptly replaced with a fresh one I made, and already feeling better.
My questions are: how does one properly dispose of the former charm? I take it, as evidence from my experience, that holding onto such a charm past its effectiveness date leads to such negative effects?
(no subject)
Date: 2020-12-21 07:52 pm (UTC)the dolmen arch
Date: 2020-12-21 11:28 am (UTC)Re: the dolmen arch
Date: 2020-12-21 07:58 pm (UTC)You can use any kind of divination you like with it. While I was working the Dolmen Arch system I practiced tarot, geomancy, astrology, Ogham, Coelbren, and the Sacred Geometry Oracle at various points, and I have no doubt that I could have also done just about anything else.
Memory garden
Date: 2020-12-21 11:38 am (UTC)Long time lurker and first time commenting. Your writings have given me a lot of food for thought, so thank you.
I read your essay on the art of memory and thought that it'd be interesting to build my own memory garden and try the method, but I have a little doubt regarding the gazebos:
1. Are the eye and the phoenix both painted on the dome? Or only the eye is, and the phoenix is painted let's say on a placcard standing next to the gazebo?
I have no idea if it matters too much, so I thought I could ask.
2. Also, regarding the choice of symbols, were they just convenient because the practitioners were familiar with the lore or does it have a deeper significance in aiding memory?
Re: Memory garden
Date: 2020-12-21 07:59 pm (UTC)2) Purely a convenience. I didn't put any specifically magical practices into that article, since it was written for people from many different traditions.
Re: Memory garden
From: (Anonymous) - Date: 2020-12-21 09:35 pm (UTC) - Expand(no subject)
Date: 2020-12-21 12:10 pm (UTC)I would like to read your book "The King in Orange" but I can't find it anywhere on the internet nor in any library or book shop near me (I live in Italy). I don't know of anyone who previously bought that book and can lend it to me. Is there a way I can read the book? Where and how can I buy it?
Thank you in advance!
(no subject)
Date: 2020-12-21 08:01 pm (UTC)Natural magic for anxiety
Date: 2020-12-21 12:13 pm (UTC)I asked a while ago about my daughter who was very afraid at night. I ended up making her the amulet for protection (red cloth + salt + bent nail) from your Encyclopedia of Natural Magic and it worked wonders! After a bed dream, she now takes the amulet from her bedside table and can walk to our room at night, something she wasn't able to do before. TSW!
Now my son (11yo) would like some help as well: he's very afraid that something bad would happen to someone in our family. He does not like it at all when we're not all together. I would like to find something that would help him let go and trust that things will work out and we'll be safe.
In the Encyclopedia, however, I haven't found anything fitting since it's not protection for him we're after. It's not really relaxation either. Can you recommend a natural magic solution or anything else for this?
Thanks in advance for any pointers!
Re: Natural magic for anxiety
Date: 2020-12-21 08:03 pm (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 2020-12-21 12:27 pm (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 2020-12-21 08:04 pm (UTC)Judika Illes
From:Prayers and hymns for the Welsh gods
Date: 2020-12-21 12:32 pm (UTC)Happy winter solstice and see everyone in February.
Re: Prayers and hymns for the Welsh gods
Date: 2020-12-21 08:04 pm (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 2020-12-21 12:41 pm (UTC)Can I ask what you do to celebrate the solstice? Anything different this year with the Great Conjunction?
I've been moving slowly through LRM wrapping up Lesson/Chapter 4. Thank you for creating such an accessible book for learning. The language is clear and direct, the pacing is steady, and the lists at the end are a handy reminder of the key points. Reading the older occult texts and then yours, I really appreciate you getting to the point with actions!
Thank you too for providing this forum. I've learned quite a bit from others' questions and experiences. For instance the question about cats a few weeks back - we adopted a kitten from the shelter, and even at 4 months old, the little cat knows when I start my magical practice and comes running. He then wants to be zipped up in my jacket where he stays while I meditate, do the QC and LBRM. He's eyes closed purring the entire time, as if to say "Oh yeah man, this is the life!"
The magical practice has also brought some rhythm to the days which have grown quite monotonous with all the closures in my state since march of museums, historical sites, libraries, and basically anywhere we'd normally go for a day out. Looking forward to growing with this over the next year.
(no subject)
Date: 2020-12-21 08:08 pm (UTC)You're welcome, and I'm glad you and your kitten are both enjoying the work!
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From: